Find Federal, State and Local Resources

For Culture and Art

Facebook logoTwitter logoLinkedIn logohome
Home Facebook logoTwitter logoLinkedIn logobreadcrumb divider Business Resources Facebook logoTwitter logoLinkedIn logobreadcrumb divider
Culture and Art

Frequently Asked Questions

I am a freelancer or independent contractor. Do I qualify for unemployment insurance, and if so, how do I apply?

The Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act expanded unemployment insurance (UI) to cover people who typically do not qualify for UI, including those who are self-employed, independent contractors, or gig workers. For more information, see our guidance for Hawai’i Independent Contractors.

I am a teaching artist paid by the State Foundation on Culture and the Arts (SFCA). The school I teach at also provided funding. Do I write down both the SFCA and the school as my contractors if applying for unemployment?

If you receive payments directly from the SFCA and directly from the school, then the SFCA recommends listing both as your employers. Write the SFCA down as a contractor and write the school down as a contractor.

Please check back frequently to see new and updated resources.